13 Things You Didn’t Know About Coffee!

https://www.twovolcanoescoffee.com/blogs/tvc/13-things-you-didn-t-know-about-coffeeIn this article you'll learn things that are actually worth knowing about coffee (or not).

1.  It all started with Dancing Goats

The legend says Ethiopian Shepherds first noticed the effects of coffee when they saw their goats appearing to become frisky and ”dance” after eating coffee berries.

    2.  Arabica or Robusta

      70% of the world consumes Arabica coffee, which is mild and aromatic. The remaining 30% drinks Robusta, which is bitterer tasting but has 50% more caffeine than Arabica.

        3.  Originally, Coffee Was Eaten

          African Tribes mixed fat with coffee berries which formed edible energy balls!

            4.  The Rise Of Islam

              The rise of Islam contributed greatly to the popularity of coffee.  Drinking coffee was considered acceptable while drinking alcohol wasn’t

                5.  All The Coffee In The World Grows In The Bean Belt

                  The “the bean belt” is the area between the Tropics of Cancer and Capricorn. In the US the only state that grows coffee is Hawaii.

                    6.  No Coffee Drinking In 1675

                      In 1615, coffee houses were banned by the king of England, claiming they were places where people met to conspire against him.

                        7.  Coffee Grows On Trees

                          They can grow up to 30ft, but are cultivated around 10ft (3m) tall for easy picking.

                            8.  The bean is actually a seed

                              The bean is actually a seed inside a bright red berry

                                9.  Coffee Is The Second Most Traded Commodity On Earth

                                  Oil is the first. Clearly humans have a thing for black drippy liquids. Coffee berries are picked, dried, and strips down until all that’s left is a green bean. Once shipped the beans are roasted at 500F. After a few minutes the bean will pop and double its size, the second pop announces when the coffee is ready.

                                    10.  George Washington Invented Instant Coffee

                                      You might be asking, the president? But no, a Belgian man who lived in Guatemala by the name of George Washington invented it in 1906.

                                        11.  Espresso

                                          It’s not a particular type of bean, roast or blend. Espresso is just a way that the coffee is prepared: shooting pressurized, hot water through finely ground coffee.

                                          There are different ways to prepare coffee like:  Café Latte, Mocha, Cappuccino, Americano, Breve and Espresso (Hardcore)

                                            12.  Americano

                                              The term “Americano” comes from Americas GIs during WWII. They would order espresso with water to dilute the strong flavor.

                                                13.  Caffeine! How it works?

                                                  Inside your brain there is something called adenosine and it only wants to hang out with certain receptors. When these two get together you get drowsy.

                                                  When caffeine shows up , it attaches to the receptors so that adenosine cannot.

                                                  Your pituitary gland sees this and thinks that its is an emergency so it tell the adrenal glands to produce adrenaline, in addition, caffeine bumps up your dopamine levels. The result? Caffeine High!

                                                  Share this post

                                                  Leave a comment

                                                  Please note, comments must be approved before they are published